Sunday, December 6, 2009

Response to "Rambling"

This blog is in response to Jillian's question: Its difficult sometimes for me to truly grasp the infinitude of time and space. When thinking about space, I always raise the question, "well, whats beyond that?" My question for you is, How do you deal with or comprehend the infinitude of both time and space? Do you ever think about it?

I think more about time being infinite than I do about space being infinite. I suppose that's because I know that space is probably infinite and doesn't really effect me personally, but I know that my time is not infinite. I find it equally difficult to think of being "alive" or lasting forever and not lasting forever. I think it's extremely different for humans to think of a time when we will no longer exist. It's hard enough to picture our lives in fifty years, let alone forever. I happen to believe that there is something beyond this life, but it seems like there must even be something beyond that. In a life in which everything ends and is constantly changing, it seems impossible to grasp the idea of forever. Trying to imagine things not going on forever seems strange too. Imagining not imagining is almost impossible.

For those of you who don't believe in a afterlife, how do you comprehend the infinitude of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment